Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portfolio Show and Tell

+19
kinseroo99
karina
Hayley!
Allstagdup
iheartnyc2010
KTSharpie
Billy!
DanDanTheOboeMan
AceOfSpadez
kellyshiei♥
kiru_ayameru
MarvelousLight
angelofmusic208
androgynousmermen@verizon
oliviah
quad
Mike
LAMeadows
Natalie Zhen
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Empty Re: Portfolio Show and Tell

Post by Billy! Sun May 31, 2009 1:52 pm

You guys rock. I just love when people are passionate about something and then they all find a common bond between their passions. sunny I know, I'm weird. But anyway, my artistic skills peaked around 3rd grade.

Hey, I did just make a short film. Maybe I could post that?
Billy!
Billy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Sun May 31, 2009 7:17 pm

Yeah! Go for it!

Ryan--we should totally bring glow stick stuff to Gov school for late night--or daytime in the dark--dance parties!
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:45 am

Where is Monica?

Last edited by Natalie Zhen on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by KTSharpie Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

okay i'm gonna sound like a total creep haha but i really love the Melt one, quad!! i love your whole idea..it was the swirls that really captured my attention Smile AWESOME work! hahaha the best i can probably do is draw a simple tree..good thing i'm not going for visual arts or i might have been out of luck ;] you guys are really talented!
KTSharpie
KTSharpie

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1565160381&ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:34 pm

What happened to your new picture natalie? well i'll comment anyway lol. The versatility in your art is amazing! All of your pictures are so unique.
I liked the dancer one because it was really focused on one person and their emotion, which is different from a lot of your others that focus on a concept rather then a person, so it just showed another side to your art.
La Puerte is cool too, i like the repitition of the keys as well as the seemingly unrelated images that also somehow are blended perfectly together.
Lights of our world is the first photograph i think! I really like photography as well, although i'm less artistic with it (more for the newspaper). It definitly catches your eye. One of the hard things with taking pictures is choosing all of the right settings and picking the right moment which you obviously did.

Nice job everyone!
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by kiru_ayameru Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:39 pm

Natalie: Gurl!!! My glow sticks go everywhere with me lol. I use LED lights and they travel with me everywhere, even at school. I'm gonna go to dollar tree before I come and just buy a crap load of candy and glowsticks for everyone lol

kiru_ayameru
kiru_ayameru

http://myspace.com/sexy_kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Dollar Tree is amazing! I think my grandparents are addicted to it. Dollar Tree and Costco with coupons. (Seriously, just go eat free samples for lunch!) Is there really a better way to shop?
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 pm

My friend works at dollar tree or as she likes to call it "Hell full of useless crap no one needs but everyone buys."

I love you guy's art!!! (especially ryan's glo stick art) It makes me happy!!

I'm like Billy, my art skills peaked very young. My friend (actually the one who works at dollar tree) shared a facebook bumper sticker (or something) that described me perfectly.

"I don't draw stick figures....I draw handless, footless, anorexic nudists"

which is about the extent of my talent!
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Allstagdup Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:50 pm

hahaha bri your rediculous and ryan...i like swedish fish! haha jk I love photography my friend has this sick camera that i get to play with and i learned all about aperture, bulb setting, and a bunch of other stuff its so interesting to me. Its fun when she takes my pictures when im dancing i love it
Allstagdup
Allstagdup

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 pm

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Meatbe10

Ah, here is one that I'm working on in class right now. This is just the base coat; I'm working back in with a smaller brush right now. I'm really happy with the way that this painting is turning around. It was looking pretty horrific for a few weeks. I essentially painted over the entire thing this past week, and I think that it will pay off.

This is kind of the way things will tighten up to look like:

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Tighte10

(The picture looks kind of shiny because the paint was still wet.) I've got to finish this by the end of school! I'm using my free exam blocks...it would ba a pain to have to lug it home.

Oh! Did you guys see the Scholastic Gold Key portfolios? Another great year! Ha ha, next year that could be us : ) Let's work hard!
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley! Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:05 pm

I'm not posting anything right now, because I need to take some pictures first hah
I just wanted to say hi to all the art people!
The pieces posted on here all look amazing. I haven't had too many chances to do big pieces like that since I kinda just got focused on art this year.
But I can't wait to meet you guys =D
Hayley!
Hayley!

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayley! Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:29 pm

oh and i'm officially inviting myself to that glow stick dance party!!
awesome.
Hayley!
Hayley!

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

hey natalie, i know that's just the beginning, but i've just gotta say... the figure on the left, her breasts look totally outta wack. they look totally huge and unreal....lol. besides that, however, i love the colors and strokes, how big is it?

also i saw the gold key portfolios.... ummm yeah... they kinda sucked. only one really impressed me (it was amazing though) but all the rest were either "uhhh wtf" or "ehhh"

i guess i'll post something; my show from a week ago (it's hard to get the space in one shot)

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6610Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6710Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6711
Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6712Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6810Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Dsc_6611
so we got the outside/entrace; fisheye of the inside corner/left side; fisheye of back wall; fisheye of right side; back wall with artwork and pop-out skyline piece; and then me looking akward in my show's corner.

these pics are small and you really can't get the feeling of the show; inside it was cozy and blue-ish with mysterious lighting due to the hanging blue cellophane and the christmas and tap-lights, and i also blasted techno and coldplay so it sounded underwater-ish. there are more pics on my facebook; and you can see other people's shows and other random pics---it was awesome!
quad
quad

http://flickr.com/wasketch

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:26 pm

Ha ha, Wade, yes, those breasts are going to get a reduction. Right now they are huge and managing to defy gravity. I, however, am very well versed in breast anatomy (being a girl), so never fear! Artistic surgeon is here!

(Oh, it's 30 inch by 40 inch. Smaller than my last one, which is troublesome and nice at the same time.)

I get the water reference in your show! Nice! Where was it held? Though, I must ask if the blue lighting threw your colors off (aha--my physics studying of optics is being applied!). Did it? You did have some very warm colored pieces.

I just got to look at all the Scholastics work from this year; I think it's neat how there is representation in the Gold key portfolios of a lot of TYPES of art. Wade--I get that not all of the art is traditional media or approach, but I think it's healthy for us to acknowledge and praise art that broadens our horizons. Safe art can be good art, but adventurous art can change history. Like, the traditional figure is frequently represented, but so is portraiture, video art, conceptual art, and abstractions. Oh, and THE SCULPTURES THIS YEAR WERE SO COOL! I can't wait to do more 3D stuff this summer!

Has there been a non-objective 2D winner recently? I can't remember.

Ah, and just for the record, it'd be great if we could all avoid negative words like "suck" when describing art. Art is really close to its maker and means something different to everyone. Let's just try to keep everything professional, respectful, and constructive. Thanks : )
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:22 pm

hahah artistic surgeon lol

the show held in the gymnasium, about 40 booths for one-person shows about 8x10 feet and they were all VASTLY different. so cool.

and the color was only midly affected. my lighting ideas didn't turn out as well as i thought they would, but everything was still visible and effect of the psychological space was more than the lighting issues, so i think it was fine overall.

...and lol i didn't actually mean they sucked. i liked most of the art, and i accept different types obviously... but i was somewhat unimpressed and uninspired. as portfolios, i really didn't get the connection but i would maybe appreciate it more in person or in an exhibit; however i really liked Haeun Joy Chung's and Edward Park's.
but some of them I honestly couldn't see how they were chosen, as opposed to some other things that I've seen with scholastics that has impressed me in various ways. but that's just my opinion. don't think i'm ignorant just because i like some of this and I don't like some of that.
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:12 am

Yeah, Haeun Joy Chung was the figure artist, right? Those paintings blew my brains out! They were amazing! I was looking all over the booklet thingy for the dimensions, but I couldn't find them at all.

Ha ha, we know you're a cool guy Wade. You just don't always self censor your word choice : ) Sorry, I didn't mean for that last post to be a personal jibe. Maybe I need to work on my word choice too.

I do agree that Scholastics is a bit unpredictable. I guess it's just a product of not having a standardized judging system across the board.

And yeah, I try to appreciate all art. That doesn't mean I like it all. I most certainly wouldn't buy it all, even if I had the money. For me it's less about being PC and more about being polite.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 pm

haha word choice, schmord schmoishce

this is why we just need to meet in personnnn! ugh govschool come sooner lol
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:14 pm

WADE---OUR STUDIO IS GOING TO BE THE BEST STUDIO IN THE HISTORY OF STUDIOS! YA----AY!
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:10 pm

...........................DUH! tongue
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by karina Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:11 pm

another visual artist here Smile i don't have any of my pictures of my work here really, i have some art at home but i can't be bothered to take pictures. not to mention my favorite pieces were sent away to ap board whuteva. haha
but besides, your guys' work is amazing! i love your use of color/ brushstrokes in the one of the two women nataliee

here's the only picture i have with some of my work in it:

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 L_8306935f90214e2fbff6cabfbf41e5b2
karina
karina

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I think my favorite of the ones that i can see is the two faces with the red/blue background. It almost seems kind of dark but in a very interesting mysterious way. What made you think of it?
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by karina Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:23 pm

aw yeah, thanks Smile my concentration this year was self-reflection/ introspection, and i made that piece for that. it's two self portraits facing each other, representing internal conflict and things of that sort!
karina
karina

Back to top Go down

Post by kinseroo99 Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:20 pm

[img][/img] Hmm well here is a piece of mine. Am i the only 3d focus artist?
kinseroo99
kinseroo99

Back to top Go down

Post by kinseroo99 Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Portfolio Show and Tell - Page 2 Chair_11 okay maybe this is just an epic fail....
kinseroo99
kinseroo99

Back to top Go down

Post by kinseroo99 Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 pm

ahh nvm it worked and wow thats a large photo sorry
kinseroo99
kinseroo99

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content