Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humanities-lets get to know each other!

+39
SaraG
tay2011
jmacg
Anne Flint
jerz901
osmithib
Rhecht
kellymc
Stuffy
Kiera S.
Oneida
bananahead82
Mike
Lauren
carolineb
cherry_eyes_2592
Meredith <3
mishlelles
AceOfSpadez
Determined 2 Be....
brooks176
larkawash
kailayne
whateverandeveramen
sambury
oliviah
iheartnyc2010
Natalie Zhen
simply_sammij
kristinnn
Paige
~Kirsten~
androgynousmermen@verizon
LAMeadows
Kearneyrunner
KTSharpie
kt2u155
FoodFanatic
hdannenfelser
43 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 4 Empty Re: Humanities-lets get to know each other!

Post by Oneida Sat May 30, 2009 8:30 pm

Yes, SAT next Saturday Sad but Friday is my last day of school, so after Saturday, it's summer!

Also, I don't know if this interests anyone, but I wrote a news article for the Roanoke Time's teen page on gov school. Smile

I linked it:
http://www.roanoke.com/theedge/stories/wb/206106
Oneida
Oneida

Back to top Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 4 Empty Re: Humanities-lets get to know each other!

Post by Mike Sat May 30, 2009 10:09 pm

That's a really good article! I think you covered just about everything very happy. I always like to talk to other people who are interested in journalism. Do you want to write for newspaper, magazine, or something else? I'm really not sure as of now, it matter more to me what I get to report about. What do you want to focus your reporting on? For me its foreign affairs, because I love different cultures and languages and I really want to travel.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneida Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23 am

I'm kind of all about writing in general, but I think I'd rather write for a newspaper than a magazine. Human interest stories are my favorite, but I also like opinion/editorializing alot. I'm editor-in-chief of the newsmagazine at my high school, so I get the opportunity to do them alot.
I really like the feel of local/regional newspapers, because they're alot more personal, so if I did pursue a journalism career, it would be limited to a smaller paper.
Its kind of a tie though, between journalist and a lawyer.

What about you? Do you write on a newspaper or just as a hobby?
Oneida
Oneida

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

I like different cultures and travel, but the hours and amount of stress would be WAY too much for me... I'm more into the art scene... my ideal occupation would be getting up every morning and just dealing hands on with art. very happy you all sound fun. I can't wait to see which one of you girls is going to be my roomie very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:40 pm

I write for my school's newspaper, actually the online edition to be specific. Here's the link: http://my.hsj.org/Schools/Newspaper/tabid/100/view/frontpage/newspaperid/2249/Default.aspx
I have an article up right now (Michael Carter), but its always changing, but you can always look in the archives. Newpaper is definitely a lot of my focus right now. I could never be a lawyer (too hard!).

What do you want to focus on with art? Cuz I know their are a lot of different careers in that field.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuffy Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:20 am

Well, I realize I'm a little late, but I figured I might as well get in on this whole 'get to know each other thing'.

I'm Julia (yay). I'm 16, going to be a junior next fall. I live up in Fairfax, so it'll be a fun car ride down.
The basics: I'm a girl (duh), I like to read/write, I love to swim and row, and I play the cello and draw a little bit. I'm also an intense nerd. Ever want to discuss Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter extensively? Just come find me. I'll be down for it.
I love history and English with a passion. I have a reading list for the summer that I hope I'll be able to knock out while at Gov School.
I listen to country music and classic rock. Yes, I know that I am an anomaly of a teenager, but I do.

I can be a bit of an intense person, but I do know how to chill out, laugh, and have a good time. I'm so excited for this summer!
Stuffy
Stuffy

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:02 pm

I'm down for some Star Wars, HP, and Trekkie Talks... Nerds Rule my friend.

As to Mike's Question: I'd like to either work in a Museum, promote art in innercity kids, work with conservation, restoration... pretty much anything that allows me to wake up in the morning and know I'll be playing with/looking at art all day long.

Back to top Go down

Post by AceOfSpadez Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 pm

I really hope I find a career that allows me to travel.
I've always kind of wanted to crtique hotels. Get to stay in 4 and 5 star hotels, and get paid for it?
AceOfSpadez
AceOfSpadez

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:48 pm

My friend (she graduated last year) actually did that... kind of. She went to china, to stay in a five star hotel and get paid for it. But she wasn't critiquing the hotel, i forget what she actually did. Something with the fact that she spoke english lol.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by kellymc Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi, I'm Kelly McGarey.
I'm a rising senior at Annandale High School, and I'm taking Predators and Prey: Social Media Sensationalism; American Quilting; and Say What?
It would be great to get to know some of you before gov school, so feel free to facebook me Smile

kellymc

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:54 pm

Kelly- Awesome, you'll be in my core class! I'll add you on facebook as soon as i get on it.

Melissa- haha, forgot to respond to you. That's cool that u want to work with kids, i could never do that, i'd get frustrated. I really like art, but i'd more just want to visit it not have a career centered around it. That's just me though.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhecht Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Hey, I'm Rachel!

I am a rising senior at James Madison High School in Vienna, VA.

The classes I am taking are: "Crusades and Jihads: Religion and Politics in a Shrinking World," "An Affair of the heart," and "7 (or 14) Ways to Meet the Devil."

I love to read and write (some of my favorite books include: The Lord of the Rings, The Road, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, In Cold Blood, and The Catcher in the Rye).

I am also really excited to read that alot of you guys are involved in journalism! I was Opinion Editor for my school's paper this year, and next year I am looking foward to being one of the Editors-in-Chief.

I play piano (pretty poorly) and I love music. Radiohead is my favorite band, followed by Grizzly Bear. I also adore Sufjan Stevens, Sigur Ros, The Smiths, The Beatles, and a whole long list of female vocalists.

You guys all sound great and I am looking foward to spending a month with you all this summer!!! It is going to be so fun Smile
Rhecht
Rhecht

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhecht Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:02 am

p.s. Welllll yessss! Facebook me!
Rhecht
Rhecht

Back to top Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 4 Empty Humanities

Post by osmithib Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi Everyone!!!!!!!!

My name is Greg Lewis and I am a 16-year old soon to be junior in the IB program at Oscar Smith High School in Chesapeake.
I am taking Foreign Policy: What if?, Criminology 101, Say What?!?
Hmmm...I like sports, candy, politics, reading, traveling, and music
I swim for my high school and play the trumpet in symphonic and marching band.
I am really excited for Governor's School and I can't wait to meet all of you guys:)
I have a facebook, so feel free to befriend me Smile
osmithib
osmithib

Back to top Go down

Post by jerz901 Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Hey guys!
I'm Jenn Rivera (facebook me!) and i'm SUPER excited for gov school!
i'm sure its gonna be amazing and we're all going to have a lot of fun.
i'm a rising senior at gar-field high school in woodbridge, va.
ANOTHER ib kid, and the best way i describe IB to someone who doesn't know is AP on crack/steroids. very happy

my classes are: coooool, these times they kept a' changin', and there is no there, there.
i haven't met anyone else with my classes...so i'm a tad bit worried about that!

journalism kids - i used to write for a local music magazine for a bit. so that was fun. and i'm actually taking a class at AU on backpack journalism. i'm still trying to figure out what to do, but i like to write and i'm planning on just going with the flow!

i like to travel and learn about different cultures. i'm also really into music and i'm planning on bringing my vinyls and my player down there with me, so get at me if you're into records too so we can share the player!

melissa - we're roommates and i laughed when i saw that you didn't want a night owl room mate... sorry!
jerz901
jerz901

Back to top Go down

Post by osmithib Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:28 pm

jerz901 wrote:
ANOTHER ib kid, and the best way i describe IB to someone who doesn't know is AP on crack/steroids. very happy

So true:)
nice way of putting it
lol
osmithib
osmithib

Back to top Go down

Post by carolineb Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 pm

jenn i'm in times they kept a changin!
i'm also an ib kid at my school, washington-lee high school!
i think of ib as an international organization of evil. there needs to be a superhero to fight it
carolineb
carolineb

Back to top Go down

Post by jerz901 Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:03 pm

caroline - we actually had a movement at my school anti the ib coordinators. good times. and we deff need to invest in a superhero. very happy i'm glad that i found someone else in that class with me!
jerz901
jerz901

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Flint Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Wow, this is what I get for not getting on the Gov website. Mad
Anyways...
Hello. I'm Brianne Dort and I'm 17. I'm a rising senior at Courtland High School in Spotsylvania, VA. I like books, reading, writing, being silly and lots of things.
Anne Flint
Anne Flint

Back to top Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 4 Empty Foreign Policy and

Post by jmacg Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Jeff MacGuinness and Ed Motley and I will be once again teaching the Foreign Policy class. We will have lots of hands on activities and several guest speakers as well as a field trip or two. We look forward to meeting you and for the course read up on some of the major Fopreign Policy issues that are going on right now. Iran, Korea, of course Iraq and Afghanistan as well as our relationships with the European Union and China are just a few. Only a few more weeks until it all begins.
jmacg
jmacg

Back to top Go down

Post by tay2011 Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey guys my name is Taylor Robertson.
I'm on facebook and myspace so feel free to look me up.
I'm 16 and am a rising junior at Bassett High School.
I live in Henry County which is in the very center at the very bottom of the state right on the North Carolina line.
Yes it is the country with the druggie sheriff lol.
My classes and such are Preditors and Prey, Filters are for Coffee, and If you could tech a Sneech.
Also I'm a huge band geek and will def be practicing in the performing arts center while I'm there so if anyone else wants to practice let me know because I hate practicing alone.
I can't wait to meet you all!
Can you believe it's only a week away??!?!!?!?!?
tay2011
tay2011

Back to top Go down

Post by jerz901 Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Has anyone gotten into persistence of vision?
jerz901
jerz901

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneida Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I have it, but I haven't seen very many others that do.
Oneida
Oneida

Back to top Go down

Post by jerz901 Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:37 pm

thats cool. right now i'm taking a backpack journalism class at AU, and i realized that i really really like it, so i'm kinda bummed that i didn't know this when we were choosing classes. i would've deff had that class for first pick.
jerz901
jerz901

Back to top Go down

Post by osmithib Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:34 pm

[quote="tay2011"]Also I'm a huge band geek and will def be practicing in the performing arts center while I'm there so if anyone else wants to practice let me know because I hate practicing alone.
[quote]

What do you play?
I play the trumpet:)
osmithib
osmithib

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next