Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New York City

+7
carolineb
Mike
Emac
Natalie Zhen
androgynousmermen@verizon
angelofmusic208
iheartnyc2010
11 posters

Go down

New York City Empty New York City

Post by iheartnyc2010 Wed May 27, 2009 8:11 pm

So as of lately, we've been having a discussion about NYC under the guise of the topic "theatre questions" in the FAQ section. Because chatting about NYC isn't really a frequently asked question...I figured I'd take it upon myself to move it Smile Also because I have talked to plenty of you non-theatre people who love NYC and yet would probably not concern yourself with "theatre questions." So because I love NYC (obviously Smile) I figured I'd open it up. I'm interested....been there? Like it? Hate it? Have an "eh whatever" reaction? Crazy stories? Favorite Spots? Shows? Museums? Favorite hobo? Best truck to illegally buy real, expensive looking, fake cheap purses? Please.....do tell flower
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

Back to top Go down

New York City Empty Re: New York City

Post by angelofmusic208 Thu May 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Love it.
far too expensive though...
better to walk everywhere. Taxi drivers scare me a bit haha
Phantom of the Opera owns
they really do have the world's best delis
bagels+cheesecake=mmmmmmmhm =D
angelofmusic208
angelofmusic208

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Thu May 28, 2009 5:06 pm

LOL favorite hobo? who is YOUR favorite hobo?

I've only been twice, and I just LOVE the big city feel. So much pulsing life it makes me feel ultra-alive. Too dirty though. I have asthma and I swear all the coughing attacks I had were not plesent. I died b/c of the art though. The MoMa is pretty much incredible. If I could get a job cleaning floors there I probobally would. I love the multiculturalism too. Any given group of 10 people will be speaking at least 8 diff languages. very happy And central park is very chill... I'd love to spend a few years there.. very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Thu May 28, 2009 7:07 pm

(Hobo note--one of my friends did an art piece dedicated to a homeless man who carried a sign that said "WHY LIE? I WANT A BEER." What an honest man!)

(Another slightly not relevant note--my sister would never want post on this thread. She says that big cities make her feel stressed out : ) The excitement is what makes NYC so great for me!)
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Emac Sat May 30, 2009 8:41 am

I went to NYC a week ago... AMMMAAAAAAZING! I went on a but tour and my tour guide was a broadway singer! We talked for sooo long. She sang to me, and gave me tips on my singing. and I was like "only in New York!"
My favorite hobo is the black wolf dungeon master in Central park!
The only thing I don't like about the city is those drivers don't give a dang ! I got hit by a taxi TWICE! when I had a walking man! and I bike-cart guy clipped my ankle when I was in Central Park. None of the times I was in the way or not where I was supposed to be.
BUT I STILL LOVE IT!
Emac
Emac

Back to top Go down

Post by angelofmusic208 Sat May 30, 2009 4:30 pm

Razz well there is always the naked coyboy.
angelofmusic208
angelofmusic208

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 pm

Yes he's interesting....however I've seen the Naked Cowgirl and I really wish I hadn't. She was this like 50 or 60 year old very saggy wrinkley lady with teased hair, way too much make up, and a tattered bikini that said "Naked Cowgirl." She was....a sight to see. haha.

I love love love NYC. I love taxi drivers. Some will talk to you and some will just start cussing people out in their own language.

I really like the people of the city!! When people ask me why I'm so obsessed I ask them one question...."have you been there?" they usually say no, to which my only answer can be "its just the energy of the city" to which I usually get crazy looks.

I am one of those people who will strke up a converstation with anyone. However when you go with your grandmother and you have street vendors and restuarant employees asking for your number and you're like uh...I'm 16.....that can get kinda akward. lol. My favorite person in NYC is this guy I met at applebees named James. He was a singer/actor/model/waiter (super gay) and we got to be close in the hour and a half I was there. I got him to sing for me and take a "model pose" picture with me. Then he sat down and started giving me tips on how to make it in the business in NYC. It was a great time.

I've kept a journal of everytime I've gone to NYC (the only time I ever journal) and I have hundreds and hundreds of pictures. My room is ME. I have postcards of NYC acting as the border on the top of one of my walls. 7 pictures of the city, a calander. Pictures of me at stagedoor w/ boradway actors sitting on my bookshelf.

*random story*
I got a picture taken one time with the actors then playing Mark and Roger from Rent. It was like 20 dollars and they were still in costume. I was 14 and they had both put their hands around my waist to pose. and I put my hand around roger's waist but Mark had had the coat on and was really close and I had to pose really fast. So I accidentally (I SWEAR) like slid my hand under his coat and i think my hand like landed on his butt. The picture i guess got taken at that very second because his face is priceless. It looks like he has a 14 year old grabbing his butt. whoops. haha!!!

So I guess I'll stop this post now though I could go on forever and ever. I'm going back in 9 days so YAY!!!!!
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Sun May 31, 2009 7:21 pm

Hahahahahahaha! Ha! Bri is a groper : ) That's priceless. I hope you framed the picture.

I think your room is a fire hazard : )

I really have nothing constructive to say about NYC except that I think I would live there just for the art.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Oh I did!!! its standing on my bookshelf Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:59 pm

For those of you who have been and shopped there. Any good (CHEAP) stores that you know of? I was googling and I was like oh look! Used clothes stores in the upper east side. I mean I should have known but still. I went to the site and it was like SALE!! GUCCI PURSE ONLY $3,000!!! I was like psh...I'll go to chinatown for a Goach. lol but yeah if anyone knows of anywhere lemme know. I'm going on tuesday Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Bri, when you are a famous broadway actress (as you will be) I'm going go see you and I'll be like "I met that girl when I went to gov. school." haha, hopefully I'll live in NYC too. I feel like I asked you this before, but what would be your ideal play & character?
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Ok 1....i can't sing or dance so probably not broadway Smile 2.....I hope we'll all still be friends by then!! 3......hm, well. There are so many musical characters i'd love to be but by deifinition you have to be able to be musical so yeah. Uh.....I'm not sure exactly. I love really edgy dramatic stuff with lots of depth and emotion, but also like the romantic comedy type. haha Razz anything but playing men!
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by carolineb Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 pm

you can't go wrong with H&M
also its not exclusive to new york so i just go there all the time in general hahaha
carolineb
carolineb

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:25 pm

and I'm excited they replaced Virgin Records with Forever21. I'm thinking (after extensive googling and reading my book NYC for dummies ((yes i got it for christmas and i AM that much of an obsessive loser!)) ) that SoHo will be a fabulous place to go. Never been in that part so i'm excited.
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:50 pm

I'm sad about the Virgin Records store closing.
I've never been to NYC before (GASP...I know) but I want to go so bad, and the Records store was going to be a highlight of my trip.
Have I mentioned I'm a music junkie?
oliviah
oliviah

Back to top Go down

Post by kristinnn Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:30 pm

omg yeahh i just went there not too long ago and we walked by the virgin records store and it looked so sad..

i literally love every part of nyc. plus i feel like any second im about to get mugged which is so exciting!! going there is like one big adventure.
kristinnn
kristinnn

Back to top Go down

Post by angelofmusic208 Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:42 pm

have a great time Bri! cat
angelofmusic208
angelofmusic208

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:38 pm

iheartnyc2010 wrote:Ok 1....i can't sing or dance so probably not broadway Smile 2.....I hope we'll all still be friends by then!! 3......hm, well. There are so many musical characters i'd love to be but by deifinition you have to be able to be musical so yeah. Uh.....I'm not sure exactly. I love really edgy dramatic stuff with lots of depth and emotion, but also like the romantic comedy type. haha Razz anything but playing men!

Sorry this is a delayed reply. We definitly will still be friends! Haha, especially after we actually meet each other! Wink I feel like i already asked what character you'd want to be so sorry if that's true. You'll come to find that i have a horrible memory.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 pm

I don't think you did!! But my memory is bad too. lol
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Sobland. Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:22 pm

Nycnycnycnyc : )

I've been on tv during the Macy's Day Parade before. I was like seven and I was sitting on a wall and they filmed me for a good ten seconds.

Oooh, so here's a (poorly told) story: I've seen Lion King twice on broadway and the first time my dad had the wrong time for the start. Somehow he found the time for the start of the second act. So, for the first broadway show I've ever seen, we walked halfway through the show. And then I left my gumby doll in the theater!
Sobland.
Sobland.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=806688

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 pm

hahahaha!!!!!!!! Libby that's hilarious and very sad at the same time Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Anne Flint Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:15 pm

I adore New York City. I've become a huge broadway fan (I got my Into the Woods CD today and danced for an hour, that's how big very happy )so it is my favorite place to go. I love the atmosphere with all the crowds though it is WAY too expensive.
Anne Flint
Anne Flint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sobland. Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Into The Woods = love
Sobland.
Sobland.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/profile.php?id=806688

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content