Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About our monologues....

5 posters

Go down

About our monologues.... Empty About our monologues....

Post by foshelle Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:44 pm

I am just wondering if there are rules on them other than not to use the one that we auditioned with. Do they have to be from a book? I found a really great one online and I just love it. How long do they have to be? Do they have to be classical? I am just trying to make sure that I have everything okay before I memorize something that is useless!! :/
foshelle
foshelle

Back to top Go down

About our monologues.... Empty Re: About our monologues....

Post by iheartnyc2010 Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:19 am

Hey I'm Bri Smile

I asked a question along the same lines in another post and one of the teachers (David who teaches Mining the Text) answered this

"Monologues: can't speak for Sheila or Adanma, but I insist monologues be from a published play, preferably 20th/21st century American, although they can be from the European milieu, too. 2 minute max. Strongly encourage y'all to choose something with which you're completely unfamiliar -- in any case, do not use the same play or character you used at Gov School auditions. If it's new to you, it's easier to work on since you don't have a bunch of preconceptions nor habits. Avoid dialects, and try to stay close to your own age. Classical is fine with me, but if you do a verse piece, you should know how to act in verse (my project group will be working on verse acting as one of our units). We have no language or content issues in Gov School theatre. None at all. We never force anyone to work on material which you find objectionable, but if you hope to work in the American theatre (or TV/film), you'll need to at least consider language and content which most schools would prohibit. But you're as welcome to do David Mamet as you are Agatha Christie."
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 pm

And I think the point is not to spend time memorizing the monologue either (though David can correct me if I'm wrong.) You aren't auditioning with it, it is just a resource to use as you work on skills. The month is about process, not product. And working with a monologue that has already piqued your interest makes it that much easier. (And it keeps them from having to locate tons of different monologues for everybody!)
sjohnso3
sjohnso3
Director

http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by foshelle Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:18 pm

awesome! thanks so much guys! Smile
foshelle
foshelle

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:48 pm

you're getting all the right answers -- avoid the internet as a source for monologues, as they are very seldom from published plays unless they're in the public domain (which means they're not contemporary). But please please PLEASE don't spend enormous time nor energy on your monologue. Sheryl is right -- it's just a piece of text for you to have available. It is NOT an audition piece -- you already auditioned and got the part! Anything else you want to know, ask Bri...she's in charge!

dsennett

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy! Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:57 am

dsennett wrote:you're getting all the right answers -- avoid the internet as a source for monologues, as they are very seldom from published plays unless they're in the public domain (which means they're not contemporary). But please please PLEASE don't spend enormous time nor energy on your monologue. Sheryl is right -- it's just a piece of text for you to have available. It is NOT an audition piece -- you already auditioned and got the part! Anything else you want to know, ask Bri...she's in charge!

Bri does know everything! You've picked a good girl to put in charge!
Billy!
Billy!

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 am

hahahaha not hardly.....I've just been bugging david with questions for about 2 months now Razz
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down