Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices?

+7
I`m_Ron_Burgundy?
oliviah
Jim_Collison
Natalie Zhen
jerz901
ldbucco
cherry_eyes_2592
11 posters

Go down

What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices? Empty What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices?

Post by cherry_eyes_2592 Sat May 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Hi! So i was a tad-bit confused about the policy regarding ipods or like cameras. I understand that I should not use them like during class, but is it possible to bring them and listen/use them during free time etc?

thanks!

cherry_eyes_2592

Back to top Go down

What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices? Empty Re: What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices?

Post by ldbucco Tue May 19, 2009 3:27 pm

We love music and photos. Of course, you cannot use them in class unless your instructors have an activity involving any of those devices. The cell phones are prohibited as a favor to you. If you bring something with you that so completely and easily connects you to home and friends, you will not allow yourself to jump into Gov School and glean from it all that you can. But, we want your Gov school experience to have a musical score and scrapbook.

ldbucco

Back to top Go down

What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices? Empty Re: What about ipods or other non-cellur electronic devices?

Post by cherry_eyes_2592 Wed May 20, 2009 10:49 pm

ok thank you!

cherry_eyes_2592

Back to top Go down

Post by jerz901 Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:42 pm

ok... so what about laptops? i have summer work to do for school and my ipod isn't able to store all my music...so can i bring a laptop?
jerz901
jerz901

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Mm, I think that the handbook said no computers. I actually had a dream that I brought a computer to Gov School and was trying to hide it under the covers of my bed. Heh, I'll be sure to leave my laptop at home in real life.

But I'm pretty sure that we'll have access to some computers and internet. We do have to all share them though....
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Collison Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:38 am

Yeah, laptops (and other computers) are a no-go.

You are correct, Natalie, that you will have access to the campus computers (which will also have Internet access). As for sharing... remember that this is a university, so they do have quite a few computers available. The 400 of us are just a small dent compared to their usual population, so I doubt sharing will be too big of an issue.

A note about summer work for your home school while you're here: don't plan on getting much done. It's a really, really, really busy month. Do what you can ahead of the program starting, and then finish up when you're back home. (By the way, it's also an *amazing* month... just really busy).
Jim_Collison
Jim_Collison

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:52 pm

Portable DVD players?
oliviah
oliviah

Back to top Go down

Post by I`m_Ron_Burgundy? Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Xbox's?
I`m_Ron_Burgundy?
I`m_Ron_Burgundy?

Back to top Go down

Post by LAMeadows Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:17 pm

OMG.
XBox's and the like, please tell me those are a go.
They're so conducive to social activity, esp. if we bring like Guitar Hero and such.
LAMeadows
LAMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Collison Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:49 pm

Check page 8 of your Student Handbook: DVD players are certainly a no-go (along with VCRs if you're old-school, Blu-Ray if you're cutting edge, and HD-DVD if you're obsolete).

XBoxes probably wouldn't be terribly useful without a television, which is also on the "What Not To Bring" List. That besides, XBox/PS3/Wii would all technically fall under the general heading of "computers," even if they are dedicated machines.

And, yeah, Guitar Hero (along with my fav: Rock Band), are very conducive to social activity, but we've got other things planned that'll keep y'all engaged. Smile
Jim_Collison
Jim_Collison

Back to top Go down

Post by bhamp Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Why would a person even think of bringing such devices when there are obviously going to be very short spans of free time anyways?
bhamp
bhamp

Location : Wishing I was a tomato... oh wait... LOCATION... ha.... Winchester.

Back to top Go down

Post by pops Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:44 pm

This is a little off topic, but I was wondering Jim...err...Mr. Collison why you said it was a really, really, really, busy month? Does that mean we got "homework"? Or are you just saying there are a lot of activities planned?
pops
pops

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Pops, I'm not Jim, but I can certainly answer about being busy. You're in class a lot, there are nightly activities, and yes, sometimes there's a little "homework." Most people don't seem to mind the work. Sometimes there's a little reading, maybe some writing. It really just depends on the class and the teachers. They realize the busy schedule and know that you don't have a whole lot of free time.

P.s. we all go by our first names at Governor's School. Smile
eksmith3
eksmith3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Collison Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:17 pm

Hey Pops! Just wanted to drop in to say that I did see your message, but Elaine covered the response quite nicely & completely (of course, I expect nothing less from a person as awesome as Elaine).

And just to back her up: we really are on a first-name basis here. very happy
Jim_Collison
Jim_Collison

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:29 pm

aww, Jim Smile How nice! I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!
eksmith3
eksmith3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum