Youth, the World, and Politics

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Youth, the World, and Politics

Post by ying_=) on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:00 pm

Hey Kat, nice to meet you too Smile. Yeah I think I sometimes overthink what COULD happen in the future too much, as a result of an action that a person or a government makes. Haha, that's why I'd make such a horrible president. I'd be trying to spot something that might happen a couple times removed from the actual event. But, I think this is what makes debating interesting, noticing the possibilities hiding in the shadows. Otherwise, I think that Mortenson did do a good deed, but I maintain that it could still change the course of Pakistan in the moderately near future.

So I have a question: Would it be more beneficial for the US the give education instead of food and shelter?

About Iran, I heard yesterday on NPR that the number of votes counted actually outnumbered the number of registered voters. Fishy anyone?

ying_=)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:40 am

About education: If you're talking in terms of providing for the underpriviledged then education would be far more beneficial in the long term but I do think we need some form of a welfare system in place.

About Iran: I heard about that too. Apparently some precincts reported that 140% of their registered voters voted. Got to hand it to the Iranians, they sure know how to increase voter turnout. The best we can mange in the US is 100%. But 140? Now that's democracy!

Back to top Go down

Post by kt2u155 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:50 pm

In terms of the food and education thing I always follow the whole thing of "Give a man a fish feed him for a day but teach a man to fish and feed him for a life time" So I guess I am education over food. I completely agree we can't just not give them anything in the meantime because if they die they can't learn anything.
kt2u155
kt2u155

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by larkawash on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Did anyone hear about the Governor of South Carolina?
Hahahahahahaha!
I'm not laughing at the fact that he left with his mistress and went to Argentina
The funniest thing to me was when he told people that he was hiking the Appalachian trail
That is the stupidest lie! Lol
(composing myself)
Do you think he should resign?
larkawash
larkawash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by osmithib on Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 pm

good point katy, i agree with you on that
as for the iranian situation, when they threaten us too much we will have to take action, not the united nations. all the un would do is give them a slap on the wrist. with countries such as north korea and iran, we need to take covert action to divert power and protect ourselves and others.

yes i have heard about the governor of south carolina and he should resign for lying and leaving his job for a week. but of course he won't because he is drunk with power and that is the reason he started this whole business in the first place.
osmithib
osmithib

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tay2011 on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Okay as far as the Iranian situation I am totally uninformed on that one sorry guys.
Then the president one I agree with Mike I could never do it it's way too much stress for me.
I think Communism although sounding nice on paper could never work because if everyone is going to get the same thing no matter how hard you work you have no drive to go farther and work harder so no one would even try anymore.

Also with the essay I did human trafficking which is like the modern day slave trade. If you want to talk about that I love talking about it so just send me an email
bandgeek93@comcast.net
tay2011
tay2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Foreign Policy Class

Post by jmacg on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:51 am

Hello all, opinions are always good, informed opinions are even better. If you are in the FO-PO class please read a newspaper. Hopefully a paper like the Washington Post or the New York Times, not the New York Post or the Washington Times which are not real Newspapers and are owned by Rupert Murdoch and the Rev. Sung Young Moon. President Obama is doing the right thing by condemning the violence in Iran, but not taking an active role, as some Neo-Conservatives have advocated. So far, the Neo-Cons have not been correct about anything, so why should they start now. The Iranian Islamic Revolution which started the whole Islamic Terrorist global threat was a direct back lash at our overthrow of the Iranian regime in 1953. Yes 1953, the Democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran, Mohammed Mossedeg was deposed by a CIA backed coup launched by the Dulles brothers. The Iranians wanted to nationalize British Petroleum, and the Brits, who the Iranians hated, wanted us to help them out. We said, " sure" and placed the Shah and his anti-communist regime back in power and the Shah proceeeded to imprison or kill thousands of Iranians that disagreed with him. The Shah's regime became so brutal and dictatorial that the Ayatollah Khomeni eventually came to power and the first thing the young students revolutionaries do is take over the U.S. embassy and hold the inhabitants hostage. The U.S. citizens are shocked and outraged not knowing even where Iran is let alone that the last time the Iranian government was overthrown it had come from the U.S. embassy. The Hostage crisis brought down the Presidency of Jimmy Carter and made Ronald Reagan look good when the hostages were released shortly after Reagan took office. Reagan later admitted that his Presidency had very little to do with the resolution of that problem. The blowback of the overthrow of the Democratically elected government in 1953 is vivid in the minds of many Iranian's and the U.S. taking an active role today would be confimring what many Iranians suspect that the U.S. and Great Britain are meddling again. Ahh and so once again this is another example of why History is important. Those that fail to heed the mistakes of the past are bound to repeat them in the future. ( in many ways our own Foreign Policy in the past few years.)

Jeff elephant ( Don't forget)
jmacg
jmacg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2