Dress Code

Go down

Dress Code Empty Dress Code

Post by Paige on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:53 am

So... since we're going to be here over the summer... I'm assuming that the dress code is going to be kind of relaxed. I'm assuming that shorts and skirts are acceptable... there aren't length requirements for them though are there; As long as they're decent. And shirts, can we wear things with spaghetti straps or tank tops?
Paige
Paige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Dress Code Empty Re: Dress Code

Post by sjohnso3 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:01 pm

The dress code is in the Student Handbook and we try not to make a huge deal out of it. It is summer, and we get that. Spaghetti straps and tank tops are usually ok, as long as they still cover backs and midriffs. (Shoulders ≠ back)

And shorts and skirts are certainly acceptable, and we don't have a particular length requirement that we go around checking or anything. Just as long as they are modest and appropriate to the activity your are engaged in. (Short skirts probably not a good idea for yoga class, for example.)

On a related note, everyone should be sure if you plan on engaging in athletic activity that you have appropriate footwear. It is dangerous to be running around in flip-flops and kicking them off is not an option. We have the "bare feet = emergency room" horror stories if you need extra convincing.

(I feel a bit like Dress Code Oldman. I'm done now.)

sjohnso3
Director

View user profile http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:19 pm

I saw for theatre we needed exercise clothes. MUST we wear tennis shoes? of can we do like flip flops and just take our shoes off. Or just keep flip flops on Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:14 pm

We want you to have SHOES, not sandals or flip-flops or crocs, for theatre classes. Assume there'll be LOTS of movement, some of it fast, and bare feet are not okay -- as I'm sure you know, theatre spaces are often littered with stray hardware, sharp objects, etc. Sneakers are fine, and there will be days when you won't need real shoes, but not too many. Also, if you have long hair, you probably want something to tie it back -- or we could just shave your head. Nah -- we wouldn't do that. Unless we thought we could get away with it.

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:22 pm

Well I mean I could pull a Brittany Spears for the summer. (The shaving the head thing....not the pregnant by my backup dancer thing!!) I have short hair anyways so not a problem.
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kellyshiei♥ on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:28 pm

are halter tops banned?
kellyshiei♥
kellyshiei♥

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Katie Johnson on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi, this is Katie, the Student Life Coordinator. Since the dress code is in my part of the world at GovSchool, I'm happy to weigh in on this. Halter tops are not banned, as long as they conform to the standards in the handbook that Sheryl mentioned: modest and not exposing your back or midriff. My advice would be to bring a variety of clothing that can serve you in different circumstances, but is always comfortable. If you have a question about something you want to wear once you're on campus, you can run it by your roommate and your RA. We try not to be too directive about things like clothing, but we want everyone to be 1) safe (hence the shoes rule) and 2) a good member of the community (thus the statements about modesty -- don't want to make anyone else feel uncomfortable). Hope this helps give a little bit of the "why" behind the "what".

Katie Johnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum