What sports equipment can we bring?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What sports equipment can we bring? Empty What sports equipment can we bring?

Post by simply_sammij on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:11 pm

I was just wondering what sports equipment we could bring and what we couldn't bring. Like would I be able to bring my softball bat or should I just bring my glove and a few softballs?
simply_sammij
simply_sammij

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/navybrat123

Back to top Go down

What sports equipment can we bring? Empty Re: What sports equipment can we bring?

Post by sjohnso3 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:17 pm

You can bring pretty much anything you'd like. We will have limited access to official playing fields (when sports camps aren't using them) but there are a couple of nice green spaces that we'll be able to hang out on and play. The loop in front of Ferguson, for example, is a great grassy space. Not so sure about batting practice there, but on the baseball/softball field when available, sure.

sjohnso3
Director

View user profile http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

What sports equipment can we bring? Empty Re: What sports equipment can we bring?

Post by oliviah on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Will we have access to the track?
oliviah
oliviah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I'm guessing there won't be many places available for fencing. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

I don't know the schedule for the track, but as I told somebody else (in another thread, or maybe it was email...) if it is open and nobody else is using it, go right ahead. But if somebody official tells you that you can't be on it, politely apologize and get off.

Not aware of any fencing piste on the CNU campus, and if there were one, it would most likely be in the Freeman Center which is not accessible to us. But some dry foil fencing out on the grass in front of the dorms... assuming you've got all the right equipment (for both fencers, of course)...

sjohnso3
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Paige on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Ooooo... if people can bring fencing stuff, does that mean we can bring lightsabers too?
Paige
Paige

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuffy on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm guessing access to a competition pool is out of the question, too.
Agh, I'm going to be so slow after a month and a half of being out of the water...
Stuffy
Stuffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allstagdup on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Oooh, I would love to be able to swim. I haven't competitively swam in like 2 years but would so get into it again
Allstagdup
Allstagdup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:53 pm

yeah that's a good question. Will we be able to go swimming?
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by apriv on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:52 pm

I can answer the swimming question. They told us there is no pool on campus. So no swimming for any of us Sad
apriv
apriv

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarissAHHH on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:53 pm

So I read that tere will be a few different "playing fields" that we can use if no on e else is using them.. does that include a volleyball court?
MarissAHHH
MarissAHHH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:47 pm

And if so, someone needs to bring said volleyball. Maybe a soccer ball too to mess around with? I don't want to bank on them giving us that kind of stuff...or will they?
oliviah
oliviah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:01 am

Bringing a volleyball, soccer ball, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea. Governor's School had a few of such things (like two basketballs) but honestly with the move, I'm not sure they came with us or what shape they will be in when we unearth them. There is a sand-pit volleyball court (though I'm not sure how construction will be impacting access) and we also theoretically have a net that could be setup in front of the dorm.

The sports equipment we do have will be in the office and can be signed out at the Help Desk. If folks want to "put on loan" to fellow students their own equipment for the month, it could live in the office, too. (Though we couldn't take any responsibility for it other than signing it in and out.) We usually hold the access or key card of whomever signs the equipment out until they return it (or bring us the card of another student who is taking over responsibility).

sjohnso3
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by mishlelles on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:54 pm

will we have access to tennis courts? =)
mishlelles
mishlelles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by quad on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:15 pm

can we bring scooters? not like the motorized ones, of course, but a collapseable razor? it's my best friend...
quad
quad

View user profile http://flickr.com/wasketch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Collison on Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Nope. Nothin' with wheels. Scooters, inline skates, skateboards, roller skates, etc. are all verboten.
Jim_Collison
Jim_Collison

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by maryanntc on Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:32 pm

hmm, silly question, butttt-
there won't really be a place to do gymnastics i'm guessing
maryanntc
maryanntc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stuffy on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Just one final question. It probably won't happen anyways.
Would I be allowed to lug my erg down there?
Stuffy
Stuffy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brooks176 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:07 pm

I know the chance of there being a golf course is next to none, but is there possibly a putting or chipping green? Could I bring a few clubs (not drivers, woods, or anything but maybe some irons and a putter)? Thank you. Smile.
brooks176
brooks176

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:10 pm

wow look at all of you athletic people!!! I'm detesting just wearing tennis shoes a lot. lol.
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brooks176 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:04 pm

Hahah, I'm not a fan of tennis shoes either. I much prefer flip flops or even flats. Smile.

Stuffy, you do crew? That's awesome! I had my first day on the water today and am pretty set on doing summer rowing (when I'm not at gov school of course), but crew is expensiveee.
brooks176
brooks176

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ying_=) on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:05 pm

I second the tennis court question and today was my first day rowing too!! very happy super fun

ying_=)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Ok... so I'm certainly not an expert on this topic, but...

There should be tennis courts and as long as there is not a sports camp happening, you should be able to use them.

No golf course that I've seen. There's some grass, but I wouldn't do anything that would damage the field...

You will not be able to use the gym, so I don't think gymnastics is going to work.

And, I don't even know what an "erg" is... so? Smile
eksmith3
eksmith3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ying_=) on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Thank you for answering in such a timely manner

ying_=)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:54 pm

An erg is the unit of energy and mechanical work in the centimetre-gram-second (CGS) system of units, symbol "erg". Its name is derived from the Greek ergon meaning work.
~Oxford English Dictionary
Oh, and it is also short for ergometer, another name for an indoor rower. (My brother was on the crew team in high school.)

I'm thinking there just isn't going to be room for it in your dorm room, though I suppose if you had a fairly compact one you might find a corner for it to live and then hope you can manage to keep enough floor space clear between you and your roommate to use it from time to time.

sjohnso3
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next