Ensemble Playing

Go down

Ensemble Playing Empty Ensemble Playing

Post by katiesoule on Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:15 am

So I'm a violinist and I was just wondering what type of ensemble playing we will play at camp, how much time is actually devoted to playing one's respective instrument, and what level of music we will be playing? Also, is there any sort of audition that we should prepare fore before coming to camp?
katiesoule
katiesoule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ensemble Playing Empty Re: Ensemble Playing

Post by sjohnso3 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 am

I can answer some, though not all, of your questions. Weekday mornings from 9-12 are dedicated to music. Approximately 2 hours of that will be ensemble work. On Fridays, all of the music students do a share for one another.

Students will also choose to rehearse and play together on their own time outside of class, sometimes creating their own ensembles.

For instrumentalists, I know of no specific audition you need to prepare for before coming to the program. Vocalists do need to prepare two selections (and email their faculty their choices) which they will sing the first day of classes.

Oh, and I know this may sound silly, but we really don't refer to the program as "camp." Some people hear the word camp and think fun and silly and glorified child care that shouldn't be funded with taxpayer dollars. And while we are most definitely fun and at times quite silly, we are so much more.

Of course, we refer to the program as "school" and some people hear that word and think boring, standardized, obligatory, and lifeless. Guess you just have to come experience it and then know that no one word is ever really going to capture what we are about.

Ok, off my soap box now. Sorry 'bout that.

sjohnso3
Director

View user profile http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by katiesoule on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Haha well I look forward experiencing that happy medium between camp and school that is govschool but thanks! Smile
katiesoule
katiesoule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down