Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Portfolio Show and Tell

+19
kinseroo99
karina
Hayley!
Allstagdup
iheartnyc2010
KTSharpie
Billy!
DanDanTheOboeMan
AceOfSpadez
kellyshiei♥
kiru_ayameru
MarvelousLight
angelofmusic208
androgynousmermen@verizon
oliviah
quad
Mike
LAMeadows
Natalie Zhen
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Portfolio Show and Tell Empty Portfolio Show and Tell

Post by Natalie Zhen Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 pm

At the humble request of Mike, and, or course, my own curiosity, I feel that it is high time that the visual arts students get to share their creations! I was hoping that more of us would surface before I started this, but I suppose that quantity shouldn't be confused with quality!

Any work is welcome! Adjudication portfolios, AP submissions, Scholastics pieces, current stuff, or work in progress! Share it all! And critiques are invited and welcome, but, as always, keep it constructive please.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Portfolio Show and Tell Empty Re: Portfolio Show and Tell

Post by LAMeadows Wed May 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Are you looking for people to share art, or anything in general, b/c I have no art to submit?
LAMeadows
LAMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Wed May 27, 2009 8:38 pm

Mmm, ideally art kids would share art, but feel free to chime in with favorite artists, critiques, dreams of painting masterpieces, etc. Don't feel excluded, Larry! We'd love to have you!

Here's one of mine, Evolution. It's an abstract piece (obviously) that I toted to adjudication. I did it last spring, so about a year ago. It's not a very rescent piece, but it got me addicted to working large. Evoludion is 3 feet by 4 feet, joint compound and acrylic on board. It weighs about the same as a small wall because of the joint compound.

Portfolio Show and Tell Evolut10
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm

That's awesome! It's really interesting, it's cool to look at it as a whole thing and then look at the details as well. How long did that take you and what inspired the name? It has a watery feel to it that makes your eye follow the blue part down.

One more question lol when you start working on something, do you like to think about each detail, or do you just get to work and let your artistic mind take over?
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Wed May 27, 2009 9:24 pm

Thank you! This one took me weeeeeeeks. It hit a few "could be done but isn't quite right" phases that I'm glad that I rejected. The number of in-between stages that it reached and overcame, and the feeling that I had grown as an artist because of the piece, inspired the name a lot.

This was an abstract expressionist project, so it was very transcendental, gut reaction for me. I came in, the painting spoke to me (yes, I believe in that stuff now), and I, uh, listened. Sometimes I would just get an itching in my head saying "unbalanced here!" or "red! red!" But most of the time I do planning. It makes for a better composition and overall smoother process. A quick sketch of where everything is going to go usually does the trick. For me, detailed planning is just frustrating because I then have to spend the time and effort recreating the image that I developed.

Though it is very hard to paint on days that I am tired. I want to stand there and stare at it. And maybe yell at it a little, too Smile

In the end, this is one of the few paintings that I am deeply attached to.

Wade! Ryan! Monica! I choose you!

Last edited by Natalie Zhen on Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Wed May 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Portfolio Show and Tell Melt210
i called it "MELT"
obviously it's a metaphor for global warming, but yeah.

so i basically already showed natalie all my stuff but i can sporadically put stuff here too....but i'd much rather see everyone else's.
really, how are there only like 3 visual art students on the boards? qtf?
quad
quad

http://flickr.com/wasketch

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Thu May 28, 2009 12:00 am

Nice work Wade! I haven't seen this one yet. It's a great concept. The centered composition is really interesting--I like that it makes the burning earth very iconic. The dripping wax reminds me a lot of encaustic...what is the medium? I feel like there is a lot of gorgeous texture that we are missing with the picture. And how big is it?

Here's another one of mine:

Portfolio Show and Tell Home013
Suicide by Society
5 feet by 6 feet
India ink and watercolor on paper

Basically, simply repeating what you see and hear without making your own decisions will ultimately hurt you in the end. (Ah! Redundancy!) The Fountainhead!

In terms of censoring, if any of my stuff offends you, please just ask me to take it down. I will. Some of my art reaches into gray areas with nudity and disturbing theme, and I am happy to post an artist statement to justifying any excessive skin or what not. Please, again, just tell me. I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 am

the earth candle is acrylic on canvas, its only like 12x14 or something. i love central composition. and theres actually liek no texture lol. i did it in a day, it was a remake of some picture i did in like 6th grade that i hated but i liked the idea so i redid it for a breadth piece.
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by LAMeadows Thu May 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Hey Natalie, is that the piece you were telling me about?
It's awesome.
And for some reason one of the people in the piece reminds me of Harry Potter or Waldo from Where's Waldo? But I can't figure out which one it reminds me more of. (The guy with the glasses).
LAMeadows
LAMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah Thu May 28, 2009 4:14 pm

Wow.
You guys are seriously talented.
I'm sure you've heard that over and over again...but man oh man.
Natalie, I really like Evolution.
And Quad, Melt is quite beast as well.
Please, please put up some more of your guys' work!
oliviah
oliviah

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Thu May 28, 2009 5:03 pm

Wow... all this stuff is so cool... I'm helping our seniors with thier art show and let me just say... with some level of comparison...Kudos.. your stuff is REALLY good.

Melt is awesome... reminds me of Magritte one of my favs... Wink and Natalie you know I love your stuff

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Thu May 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Portfolio Show and Tell Cresto15
"crest of waves"

it's japanese-y. pen and paint on wood. :]
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Thu May 28, 2009 9:20 pm

Ah, this is a better picture than the one I saw before. I can see a lot more detail.

I really love the way that you handled the delicacy of the sunlight. Also, the crispness of the white is outstanding. You really do love detail, hmm? It shows in your craftsmanship!
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Thu May 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Wow! All of these pictures are so amazing, i guess that's why you got in for art.
Natalie, I'm going to try to say something about every picture that you sent me (all of which are really awesome by the way), but it might take me a little while so sorry about that. I wanted to tell you first though that I really liked the two India Ink ones, they're reaaaaaaaaaaally interesting.
I like the idea behind the global warming one, it's a really cool concept and well pulled off as well. I like the color choice in the crest of waves one, like Natalie said the detail is really impressive.

Can't wait to see more!
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by angelofmusic208 Fri May 29, 2009 12:19 am

This stuff is AMAZING
I'd love to see more of everything.
You guys are just so GOOD haha.
Evolution is my favorite. Im not too informed about art but...is that oil painting? The texture is fascinating..
angelofmusic208
angelofmusic208

Back to top Go down

Post by MarvelousLight Fri May 29, 2009 1:33 am

Wow. I am in awe of all you visual arts people. I could never do that in a million years. The only arty thing I do besides performing arts in digital art like photo manipulation to make pieces of art of digital media. But you guys are amazing!!!
MarvelousLight
MarvelousLight

Back to top Go down

Post by kiru_ayameru Fri May 29, 2009 7:07 am

Portfolio Show and Tell L_3a9d780f8b14fee3053ac44901f82a-1 "The Lights of Our World"
kiru_ayameru
kiru_ayameru

http://myspace.com/sexy_kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by kellyshiei♥ Fri May 29, 2009 1:10 pm

wade. is. awesome. :]

love,
kelly.

ps. this is really random but u were #1 on my iflurtz freshman year...except for i didnt know u then x] haha
kellyshiei♥
kellyshiei♥

Back to top Go down

Post by quad Fri May 29, 2009 5:15 pm

kellyshiei♥ wrote:wade. is. awesome. :]

love,
kelly.

ps. this is really random but u were #1 on my iflurtz freshman year...except for i didnt know u then x] haha

aw thanks Wink
but i mean, everyone here is awesome.... because we all got into govschool! hahaha

hahaha nice! you should've searched for me!! and we could've dated! lol i never get those
quad
quad

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Fri May 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Ryan--"Lights of Our World" is really cool! How did you do that? Is it digitally created, chemically induced, a direct photo of...something? I know almost nothing about photography except for that red light is safe in the darkroom because it's photon is too small to start a chemical reaction....and even that may not be correct Neutral

Kat--It's acrylic and joint compound. Like the stuff you make walls with. I did use a gloss medium to thin the paint out in some areas.

Here's another of mine (this was at adjudication):

Portfolio Show and Tell La_pue11
La Puerta (La Muerte)
Acrylic and gesso on paper
18'x24', I think.

Quickie, this one. Did this in one evening after crashing and burning on a BC Calc quiz that day. It was good therapy with some paints I found in the attic. It's not a very finished piece, but it got me back into the groove of painting.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by LAMeadows Fri May 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Natalie,
Your La Puerta piece which you say isn't very finished, is my favorite of yours. Your others are brilliant too, but something about that last one, just draws me into it. I think I like it because it's not too realistic nor too abstract (not sure about my word choice there). It's impressionist right? LOL. Whatever it is, I love it.
LAMeadows
LAMeadows

Back to top Go down

Post by AceOfSpadez Fri May 29, 2009 10:23 pm

So, y'all are amazing. I'm so jealous.
I can't create, I do photography, so I take pictures of stuff that's already there.

Last edited by AceOfSpadez on Sat May 30, 2009 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
AceOfSpadez
AceOfSpadez

Back to top Go down

Post by DanDanTheOboeMan Fri May 29, 2009 11:32 pm

wow. So much talent. I wish I was a good artist.
DanDanTheOboeMan
DanDanTheOboeMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen Sat May 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Okay! I have a critique on Monday. Currently painting, listening to Carry on my Wayward Son, and eating goldfish : ) Unearthing some of my older work has kind of pointed me in a new direction. My passion for art has ben rejuvenated! Life is good.

Last edited by Natalie Zhen on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

Back to top Go down

Post by kiru_ayameru Sun May 31, 2009 11:34 am

Natalie Zhen wrote:Ryan--"Lights of Our World" is really cool! How did you do that? Is it digitally created, chemically induced, a direct photo of...something? I know almost nothing about photography except for that red light is safe in the darkroom because it's photon is too small to start a chemical reaction....and even that may not be correct Neutral

Kat--It's acrylic and joint compound. Like the stuff you make walls with. I did use a gloss medium to thin the paint out in some areas.

Here's another of mine (this was at adjudication):

Portfolio Show and Tell La_pue11
La Puerta (La Muerte)
Acrylic and gesso on paper
18'x24', I think.

Quickie, this one. Did this in one evening after crashing and burning on a BC Calc quiz that day. It was good therapy with some paints I found in the attic. It's not a very finished piece, but it got me back into the groove of painting.

actually, it was my friend dancing. haha, My friend is very talented with glow sticks and such things, as am I, and the rest of the people I hang out with. It was a direct photo using no flash in the dark. It is amazing the things that we can see with all the lights off and I try to show that with alot of my pics and videos. right now I'm working on a video from this past weekend where me and my friends are having dancy dance time and stuff like that. Link will be posted soon ^.^
kiru_ayameru
kiru_ayameru

http://myspace.com/sexy_kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum