Theatre Questions

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Theatre Questions Empty Theatre Questions

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Sun May 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Rather than making seperate posts I figured I'd jam all of my theatre questions into one topic Smile

*as far as clothing goes...it said sweatpants and tshirts and tennis shoes and what have you. Would "adequately covering" shorts, and tanktops, and yoga pants be ok too??

*For monologues- Can we do a piece from the same play we auditioned with (not the same one)? Classical?How long? Does it need to have "school appropraite" language and subject matter or do we have more leniecy in this program? Do they have to be from a play or can we get them from screenplays?

*I believe it says bring costumes or something like that....costumes like what?

Actually I think that's all I can think of now, I thought there was more but maybe not Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Theatre Questions Empty Re: Theatre Questions

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Tue May 12, 2009 7:08 pm

oh and also. . .do all our clothes need to be black or just a couple?
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 on Wed May 13, 2009 12:34 am

Not ignoring the post. One of our theatre faculty does frequent the board from time to time, and so I've pointed this thread out to him so he can give his take on things.

sjohnso3
Director

View user profile http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by J. K. on Wed May 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Yeah, I also have a question. On things to bring in the letter it said "scripts for sharing". I'm not 100% sure what that means, could someone please be more specific? thanks.
J. K.
J. K.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Theatre Questions Empty answers

Post by dsennett on Wed May 13, 2009 4:14 pm

Okiay -- lemme try to help out here.

Clothing: classes require comfortable, non-restrictive clothing at all times, so no tight jeans. As you can imagine, we move a LOT in acting classes, and some of the movements are weird, so you'll probably want to avoid anything too revealing (no skirts, for example. Not even for the guys.) Closed shoes -- no sandals or clogs, as they're hard to move in.

Black clothes: may not be needed at all, but often we costume the theatre showcase at the end of July by putting everyone in black -- just the easiest way to go. Most days, sweats, shorts, etc. are just great.

Scripts to share: just for the fun of it. Nice to be able to share favorite materials, to have scripts on hand so people can look for new monologues and scenes, whatever. Don't bring a ton -- maybe just a few you've particularly enjoyed as an actor or audience member.

Monologues: can't speak for Sheila or Adanma, but I insist monologues be from a published play, preferably 20th/21st century American, although they can be from the European milieu, too. 2 minute max. Strongly encourage y'all to choose something with which you're completely unfamiliar -- in any case, do not use the same play or character you used at Gov School auditions. If it's new to you, it's easier to work on since you don't have a bunch of preconceptions nor habits. Avoid dialects, and try to stay close to your own age. Classical is fine with me, but if you do a verse piece, you should know how to act in verse (my project group will be working on verse acting as one of our units). We have no language or content issues in Gov School theatre. None at all. We never force anyone to work on material which you find objectionable, but if you hope to work in the American theatre (or TV/film), you'll need to at least consider language and content which most schools would prohibit. But you're as welcome to do David Mamet as you are Agatha Christie.

Costumes: don't need 'em. But some folks like to do scenes or monologues or characters in the student variety shows or elsewhere, so it never hurts to bring a few, small accessories -- necktie, shawl, high heels, whatever. Don't bring valuable things to Gov School -- you won't need them and they could get lost or damaged, which would be a shame.

Things to bring (not on the previous list):

Sense of humor
Imagination
Professional attitude and work ethic
Willingness to leave your ego outside the studio door
Unflagging energy
Presents for the teachers.

Please feel free to keep posting questions, concerns, jokes, whatever. Or email me via the link on this page.

Can't wait to meet y'all!!!!

David

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Thu May 14, 2009 5:38 pm

thanks :-) ok for monologues. . .you said to choose something we are unfamiliar with. Do you want us to memorize and read the whole play before hand or save it so we can develop the character from scratch this summer?
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Read the play, of course, if you can find it. For me, I'd like monologues memorized, but as a tape recorder "memorizes." That is, learn the words, but don't necessarily make choices about character, objective, beats, environment, etc. It's surprisingly hard to memorize without making other decisions, but give it a shot.

So...are you gonna be in NYC between now and Gov School? If so, please feel free to bring bagels for me!

David

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Yes that is going to be hard but I'll do what I can. Yeah I'm actually going up June 9th and 10th. It's sad I've been away from home for so long!! (No I've never actually lived there butI definitely consider it my home...."home is where the heart is"...) Smile
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Mon May 18, 2009 11:52 am

Know what you mean. I lived in The City for 14 years. Left there in 1996, but can't get used to living elsewhere. Virginia is cool, but NY is WAY COOL!

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Tue May 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Virginia is cool???? Far from it =) The only thing good in VA is this camp!!! I can't wait to get out...just so you know if I don't show up this summer, I've rebeled and stayed in NYC, refusing to leave...granted I'll probably be in a cardboard box but that's ok!
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Tue May 19, 2009 10:29 pm

May I suggest the alley between 81st and 82nd, at First Ave. A good refrigerator box is imperative.

I love NY, big time, and spent fourteen pretty groovy years there. I think we should have lunch the first week of Gov School and tell New York stories. Anybody wanna join us?

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Tue May 19, 2009 10:36 pm

hahaha refrigerator box...may be useful, I'm relatively tall.

Lunch sounds amazing! I can't wait to hear NYC stories!! Obviously knowing where to find the best boxes, I'm sure you're very informed on the best dumpsters to eat out of. I'm not all for the whole starving artist thing Smile I'm thinking hanging out in the dumpster closest to Daniel may be best but I'm not positive =)
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Wed May 20, 2009 11:07 am

Who needs dumpsters? There's always ketchup soup. I'm not big on the starving artist thing -- better to be well fed. No romance in being poor, trust me. But there are ways -- lots of ways -- to take advantage of New York's offerings without having money. So...all y'all -- favorite NY spots? Restaurants? Museums?

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 on Wed May 20, 2009 12:36 pm

You guys are going to be my friends this summer. I'm planning a trip to NYC for my choir... and I've been there 4 times, but you guys obviously know more than me.
eksmith3
eksmith3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dsennett on Wed May 20, 2009 1:24 pm

What I don't know, Elaine, is where that waterfall is. Looks a lot like one in Pisgah Nat'l Forest, and since you're in NC...if I get this right, do I win a prize?

dsennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 on Wed May 20, 2009 1:51 pm

It's actually in Shawsville, Virginia... home, sweet, home. I worked at an outdoorsy camp for 1-12 grades while I was in college. I go back to visit every once in a while Smile
eksmith3
eksmith3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Boyd on Wed May 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Bri, I just saw this post and it made my entire day Smile
David, thank you SO much for answering all those questions. I am unbelievably excited for Governor's School, and theater, and acting the whole summer away Smile
Viva NYC, yes please!
Nicole Boyd
Nicole Boyd

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=505075616&ref=p

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Wed May 20, 2009 4:52 pm

hm. . .favorite spots. . . well i love times square. i could spend my entire life just sitting and people watching. plus you know there's broadway. I also love chinatown. Yeah sure ok. . .going into the back of a white truck where they have to shut the back is quite sketch but you can find really great real looking fake cheap expensive purses. lol. I thing when i move there i will live in the east village. . .I like the atmosphere and i can't afford the penthouse above the olive garden in times square. . .maybe one day though. favorite restaurant? i like street vendors but i really life the life cafe i'm pretty sure its in the east village. it has great food and a huge connection to rent. I haven't been to any museums so i can't really say for that. I don't know too much about other areas in nyc though. I usually go with my gma and she's not a big explorer and we stay in the middle of times square. id love to know more about the lesser known wonderful places to go.
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy! on Wed May 20, 2009 6:01 pm

iheartnyc2010 wrote:hm. . .favorite spots. . . well i love times square. i could spend my entire life just sitting and people watching. plus you know there's broadway. I also love chinatown. Yeah sure ok. . .going into the back of a white truck where they have to shut the back is quite sketch but you can find really great real looking fake cheap expensive purses. lol. I thing when i move there i will live in the east village. . .I like the atmosphere and i can't afford the penthouse above the olive garden in times square. . .maybe one day though. favorite restaurant? i like street vendors but i really life the life cafe i'm pretty sure its in the east village. it has great food and a huge connection to rent. I haven't been to any museums so i can't really say for that. I don't know too much about other areas in nyc though. I usually go with my gma and she's not a big explorer and we stay in the middle of times square. id love to know more about the lesser known wonderful places to go.

Hey, I wanted the penthouse above the Olive Garden in Times Square!
Billy!
Billy!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Wed May 20, 2009 6:10 pm

i mean hey. . .we could always just grab forty or fifty roommates to split the cost between then maybe we could afford it. sounds like a plan to me! who's in? lol
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nicole Boyd on Wed May 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Oh, I would be into that Smile
Nicole Boyd
Nicole Boyd

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=505075616&ref=p

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 on Thu May 21, 2009 5:08 pm

I like Stage Deli for cheesecake, but I think my favorite thing the last time I went to NYC was the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of art (mostly because I don't know much about it), but that place was amazing!!!
eksmith3
eksmith3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Thu May 21, 2009 6:31 pm

The MET is fantastic, I spent four hours there and it wasn't nearly enough!
FoodFanatic
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Mon May 25, 2009 4:25 pm

I've never been there Sad

Ok theatre/ monologue question.....can it be from a screenplay or does it have to be a play play?
iheartnyc2010
iheartnyc2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen on Mon May 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Ah! The Met! I accidentally ended up there looking for MoMA. You know tiny print on maps....MMoA versus MoMA...anyways, I only had an hour or so to look around, so I jumped over the Guggenheim. I'll have to go back and completely experience the Met and MoMA.
Natalie Zhen
Natalie Zhen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum