Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what about phones?

+4
Jim_Collison
oliviah
eksmith3
sambury
8 posters

Go down

what about phones? Empty what about phones?

Post by sambury Tue May 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Can we not bring cell phones at all or does that just apply to bringing them to class? Assuming that we leave them in our rooms.

sambury

Back to top Go down

what about phones? Empty Re: what about phones?

Post by eksmith3 Tue May 05, 2009 6:21 pm

No cell phones are allowed at Governor's School (see page 9 of the student handbook). The Governor's School works to build a close community. I know it sounds strange, but most people end up being okay with the rule. I know I appreciate the break from the outside world.

Trust me! You can survive without your cell phone Shocked Smile
eksmith3
eksmith3

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah Tue May 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Just out of curiosity...what sort of disciplinary action is taken if you are caught with a cell phone?
oliviah
oliviah

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 Tue May 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the phone is taken and given to the director. It is then shipped to the superintendent of your local school district where you and your parent have to go pick it up and explain why you broke the rules of the program.

You sign your name saying that you agree to abide by the cell phone rule.

There are public phones around campus that you can use during your free time to call home or talk to your friends. If there is an emergency your family can call the GS office and a message will be delivered to you. If there is an emergency on campus, there are phones available for students to use.
eksmith3
eksmith3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim_Collison Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 pm

I assuming it'll work like it has in past years...

Firstly, your phone will be confiscated (of course), and you'll get to have a chat with the higher-ups in the program as to why you chose to ignore this super-easy-to-follow rule.

Then comes the truly embarrassing part: at the conclusion of the program, your phone is mailed to the superintendent of your school district, along with a letter explaining that one of their best students chose to disregard a simple rule put in place (for the purposes of fostering a tight-knit community). Most superintendents don't like those kinds of letters, because... well... they paid for you to be at Governor's School (and it isn't cheap). So, when you get home you get to explain to your superintendent why you disregarded this rule and ask *them* to have your phone back.

In short, it's a huge, embarrassing hassle (for you, not us), and it really isn't worth the risk.

As Elaine said, the break from always being reachable is nice. Besides, you'll still have select times with access to campus computers to post Facebook updates, etc., so you won't be in a total contact/information void while you're here.

As for people getting ahold of you (like in an emergency), we've got that covered. The faculty and staff uses a combination of campus phones plus two-way radios to keep in constant contact, and can get in touch with students very, very quickly. If you've ever seen the Sprint TV ad "What if delivery people ran the world?" that gives you an idea (I personally think it could be called "What if Governor's School staff ran the world?").

So, it's not worth the risk having it, and there's no need - not even for safety purposes (we've got that covered) - to have a cell phone.

- Jim

If you haven't seen the Sprint ad I'm referring to, you can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN8qorQLz2M

Last edited by Jim_Collison on Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : No real edit, just noting that in the long time it took me to post, Elaine answered the with the same thing, and more succinctly. :))
Jim_Collison
Jim_Collison

Back to top Go down

Post by oliviah Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.
oliviah
oliviah

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Not to be the stick in the mud but I'm really glad! I hate it when I'm trying to hang out with ppl and they're just texting the whole time... might be hard to talk with parents etc but oh well back to letter writing very happy
androgynousmermen@verizon
androgynousmermen@verizon

Back to top Go down

Post by iDraw'09 Tue May 05, 2009 9:55 pm

I agree, lol, I remember last year one of my church friends came back from gov school and I think it must have been the same day/right after because she looked so dazed. It was because of this isolation - I had no idea it was so extensive! But at least I'll still have internet. <3
iDraw'09
iDraw'09

Back to top Go down

Post by sjohnso3 Tue May 05, 2009 10:12 pm

With all our 21st century multi-tasking and instant connectedness, I think we have lost sight of what it means to be truly present in the moment, to be truly present for another person. One of the things Governor's School does is form a very strong community, one that reaches far beyond the time and space confines of 4 weeks on a college campus. It is successful in part because we are able to minimize distractions (not just cell phones, mind you) and give everyone permission to be about the task of learning and living in a residential setting with 450 others who want to be there, too.
sjohnso3
sjohnso3
Director

http://govschool.cnu.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by AceOfSpadez Thu May 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I don't know. A lot of my friends are going to college in August, and although I like the idea of being in a separate community learning about others and making new friends, it will be difficult to leave my old ones behind, even if it is just for a month.
AceOfSpadez
AceOfSpadez

Back to top Go down

Post by eksmith3 Fri May 22, 2009 12:15 am

You'll still have plenty of time for phone calls from *gasp* land lines... oh, and facebook!

But usually GovSchool folk are so awesome that you might find yourself not needing to call everyone back home all the time. rendeer (I don't know why, I just had to use this guy)
eksmith3
eksmith3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum