Governor's School for Humanities and Visual & Performing Arts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humanities-lets get to know each other!

+39
SaraG
tay2011
jmacg
Anne Flint
jerz901
osmithib
Rhecht
kellymc
Stuffy
Kiera S.
Oneida
bananahead82
Mike
Lauren
carolineb
cherry_eyes_2592
Meredith <3
mishlelles
AceOfSpadez
Determined 2 Be....
brooks176
larkawash
kailayne
whateverandeveramen
sambury
oliviah
iheartnyc2010
Natalie Zhen
simply_sammij
kristinnn
Paige
~Kirsten~
androgynousmermen@verizon
LAMeadows
Kearneyrunner
KTSharpie
kt2u155
FoodFanatic
hdannenfelser
43 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 3 Empty Re: Humanities-lets get to know each other!

Post by Lauren Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Howdy howdy people!

I'm Lauren, 16, rising senior, live in Newport News (although I'm originally from Northern VA, so I frequently travel to and have family in the areas most of you are from), and I am RIDICULOUSLY EXCITED FOR GOVERNOR'S SCHOOL! I wish they hadn't moved it from UR, it has such a lovely campus... oh well Smile

I adore psychology, music, religion, history, literature, language, the sciences, being silly very happy, sunny days, and having a grand ol' time. My top three choices for core classes are: Free Fallin', And the winner is..., and Foreign Policy What If's. I can't remember everything I picked for seminar and interdisciplinary, but it was so difficult to choose, I know any class would be amazing.

A little bit more about me: I'm into international relations and debate through my involvement in Model UN (I'm Secretary-General of my school's club), I play the cello and participate in various orchestral groups, I want to be a psychiatrist when (and if Razz) I grow up, and I am an AP survivor very happy

I can't wait to meet all of you in person in July! Just by leafing through the message boards, I can tell everyone is very friendly and outgoing. This summer will be a blast! very happy
Lauren
Lauren

Back to top Go down

Humanities-lets get to know each other! - Page 3 Empty Re: Humanities-lets get to know each other!

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Mon May 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Amen to that Lauren.

I'm Melissa for those of you who don't already know and You all sound incredibly fun and AmAzInG very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon May 18, 2009 8:50 pm

Hey, I'm Mike. I'm a rising Junior and I'm really excited for gov school.
My top core class is preditors and prey: social media sensationalism, for Interdisciplinary my top choice is if you could teach a sneech, and finally for my seminar class my top is The NYC' 60s: Andy Warhol.
So some of my interests/ activities, umm... well I'm on my school's SCA, I'm also on the newspaper (plan to major in journalism), I run cross country and track, my faviorte band is The Shins or The Killers, favorite book is a Thousand Splendid Suns, Garden State is my favorite movie, and Scrubs is my favorite TV show. That's about all I can think of right now.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by whateverandeveramen Tue May 19, 2009 1:34 am

haha mike,i'm guessing youre a zach braff fan. do you like the other songs from the garden state soundtrack, like in the waiting line and let go, all that? the shins are amazing though.
whateverandeveramen
whateverandeveramen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Tue May 19, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm a huge fan of zach braff (and also Sarah Chalke) I'll watch any movie that either of them is in. Obviously, I like all of the shins songs on the soundtrack, Let Go is really good, as well as Don't Panic. I don't actually have In the Waiting line on my ipod though... lol, as you can guess I was really depressed when scrubs ended (which also had an awesome soundtrack by the way very happy). I'm guessing you saw Garden State, how'd you like it?
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by whateverandeveramen Tue May 19, 2009 11:43 pm

ohh i loved it. haha i'm not caught up on this season of scrubs yet, but i'm really sad it's over too. but yeah garden state was just really really good, it's hard to describe. i think natalie portman's a really good actress, and zach braff's sofunny, it was cool to see his more dark-humor ish stuff, because scrubs is so in your face with its jokes.
whateverandeveramen
whateverandeveramen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Thu May 21, 2009 12:24 am

There are some good episodes you have yet to watch then. Every time i think about Garden State i like it a little more, it's just so unique and has awesome, fitting music. Natalie Portman was soooooo good, and it is kind of different to see Zach Braff in a more dark role as opposed to his usual happy, "sensy" (to quote him on Scrubs) self. I'm glad that someone else appreciates that movie very happy.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by whateverandeveramen Thu May 21, 2009 6:08 pm

yeah! i really like it's subtlties and its so funny and sweet.
btw where in loudoun do you live? casue i do too!
whateverandeveramen
whateverandeveramen

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Thu May 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Garden State and Scrubs are amazing! I'll pretty much watch anything with Natalie Portman and that movie shows so many modern issues in one really good film... My top seminar class is also Andy Warhol's NYC very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Thu May 21, 2009 10:32 pm

I actually live in Purcellville, I go to Valley. What school do you go to?

Natalie Portman is an amazing actress!! You're the first person I've talked to who also put the Andy Warhol one as their top, which i was surprised by. It's gonna be awesome!
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Thu May 21, 2009 10:40 pm

YEAH you're the first person I've talked to too which makes me happy b/c that means that we have a good chance of getting in that one! very happy very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Fri May 22, 2009 7:07 pm

I know and it sounded like one of the coolest classes! The what if your song told a story class sounded pretty cool too, but that's my second choice.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by whateverandeveramen Fri May 22, 2009 11:54 pm

i go to pot falls, in sterling.
whateverandeveramen
whateverandeveramen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Sat May 23, 2009 1:31 pm

Oh yeah, i've raced against your cross country team before.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic Sat May 23, 2009 3:27 pm

I know this is really random, but do you guys want to help me stop the spread of tobacco in Virginia?

http://meltdownva.com/?u=FoodFanatic

Explore the site!
FoodFanatic
FoodFanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by bananahead82 Mon May 25, 2009 11:36 am

Hey guys! I'm Rhianna Beasley and I live in Midlothian (outside of Richmond). I am 17 years old and will be a senior next year! I am in the Humanities program (shocker!) at my school and I love reading, philosophy, art history, and psychology. I also love to write and I am the Junior Editor for my school's newspaper. My friends describe me as "quirky" and laughing is my favorite hobby. Can't wait to meet you all in July!!!!!!!! Facebook me! sunny

Oh and my top choices are free fallin, filters are only for coffee, and 7 ways to meet the devil!
bananahead82
bananahead82

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon Mon May 25, 2009 11:40 am

HEllo Rhianna! and I would love to help you stop the spread of Tobacco Francis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 am

Hey Rhianna, I'm on my school's newspaper too. I plan to major in journalism, do you do it just for fun or are you looking at a career in it too?
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by bananahead82 Mon May 25, 2009 12:00 pm

I'm not sure yet. Right now I'm looking at doing something in foreign affairs, but journalism could fit in with a lot of different careers.
bananahead82
bananahead82

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Yeah, it definitely does tie in a lot of careers. I actually want to report on foreign affairs, that's my ideal job.
Mike
Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by bananahead82 Mon May 25, 2009 7:27 pm

Haha what a coincidence!
bananahead82
bananahead82

Back to top Go down

Post by brooks176 Tue May 26, 2009 7:09 pm

I'd love to do something involving foreign affairs as a career, too. I think it'd be cool to be a news anchor or a politician (minus the corruption), but I honestly have no idea what I'm going pursue as a career. My immense interest in the topic is why I picked "foreign policy: what if?" as my top class. very happy.

Anyway, I have the same project as Francis/foodfanactic about stopping tobacco in VA. Could you guys please click my link? It's for the "Y Do You Think Smoking Isn't Stupid?" campaign. Thanks!

Also, to reintroduce myself, I'm Rachel. Smile.

[/center]
brooks176
brooks176

Back to top Go down

Post by Oneida Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 pm

It's pretty exciting you guys are journalists... that's my thing too. Smile
Editorializing and opinion articles are my favorite, but straight news is fun too... Unless its a sports article, in which case, I'll pass.

Oh, I'm a bit late on the introduction. I've been watching for a while but this is my first post.

My name is Oneida. (Pronounced Oh-Nye-Duh.)
I am a junior from a school near Blacksburg.
English is preferable to all subjects.
I like weird things.
I am really surprised that no-one has mentioned the Persistence of Vision course... It's my number one choice. (Along with the '60s Warhol... that looks amazing.)
And that's my introduction Smile

I absolutely cannot wait for Gov school, (but can't really think about it until post-June 6,) but am a tish nervous.
Oneida
Oneida

Back to top Go down

Post by carolineb Thu May 28, 2009 11:27 pm

are you taking the SATs that day?
me tooo!! i want to DIE
carolineb
carolineb

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiera S. Fri May 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey I'm Kiera.
I'm 16, and a rising senior from Fairfax.
I'm obviously coming for humanities but I really love to dance. I take classes 6 days a week and I'm not sure how I'll deal with a full month off, but hopefully there will be free time for the studios.
My favourite courses are honestly chemistry, biology, and psychology. A bit of a weird mix, I know, but I'm just not a big fan of history or english, despite the fact that they've always been my two strongest subjects.
I'm very excited for Governor's School and can't wait to meet all of you!

Kiera S.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next