Career or Hobby?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Career or Hobby?

Post by Natalie Zhen on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:38 pm

I suppose that a lot of us are juniors and have started that scary process of looking at colleges. Are y'all interested in your discipline (whether it be music, drama, dance, art, etc) as a simply personal passion or as a viable career choice? If just a hobby, how much influence is your talent having on your college decision?
Natalie Zhen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Career or Hobby?

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Mine is definitely a career (theatre) Much to my mother's disliking and disapproval. But yes, I want to get my masters or higher so if I don'y make it as an actress, I can teach theatre Smile
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:48 pm

Cool. That's a ton of dedication. I'm teetering on the edge when it comes to doing art as a career. It's not a primary career interest for me yet, but I'm seriously considering it as a double major/strong concentration. If I'm smart enough/make good enough art, the Brown RISD program looks really cool. Like a ton of work, but also awesome.
Natalie Zhen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarvelousLight on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:56 pm

Definately a career. Really the only thing about my future that I am certain about is that it will revolve around the stage, in some form or another, kind of like you Bri.
MarvelousLight

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Allstagdup on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:57 pm

I've always thought Musical Theatre and now I started Dance so Dance is looking up there. But, I like to act and sing too much to give them up so definitely a career. And, like Bri if the world thinks I suck I want to teach theatre, or dance
Allstagdup

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:39 pm

I suppose mine would influence my college plans, I want to to into pre-med majoring in biology and then go on to medical school. Maybe minoring in French language!

Haha, not NEARLY as interesting or creative as you performing arts kids :/
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iheartnyc2010 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 am

FoodFanatic wrote:I suppose mine would influence my college plans, I want to to into pre-med majoring in biology and then go on to medical school. Maybe minoring in French language!

That may true but chances are you will have a stable career making a lot more money Smile but you gotta do what you love or whats the point?

Last edited by sjohnso3 on Sun May 03, 2009 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix code)
iheartnyc2010

Location : I kid you not...a place that has a "drive your tractor to school day".....yeah I know!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:50 am

I agree! Life is short, enjoy it Smile
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kiru_ayameru on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 am

when life hands you lemons, you say, "screw the lemons" and go do something else!
I really hate talking abou serious stuff like this because I royally screwed up with my GPA, I have a 2.4, I need at least a 2.8 to get looked at by VCU. so, TCC, here I come lol
kiru_ayameru

View user profile http://myspace.com/sexy_kyo

Back to top Go down

Post by angelofmusic208 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:46 am

Okay, well I guess I really am the baby of this group...
I'm a sophmore lol.
But as far as schooling goes. I definatly want to dance as a career as far as it will take me and I plan on getting my BFA in dance preformance(hopefully at Shenadoah Conservatory...)
Im trying to get all my nursing school prerequisites out of the way in high school so that I can either double major or go back to school later on and become an ER nurse.
im kinda trying to get the best of both worlds lol
angelofmusic208

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kt2u155 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Well I guess I am look foodfanatic because its influencing what I want to be when I am older. I am looking at majoring in Internatinal Relations and something with the French language would really work with my job (plus I don't want all my language in school to turn out to be a waste). ANYWAYS... I don't really know quite what I want to be when I am older though just know I want it to have politics and be international.
kt2u155

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bhamp on Fri May 01, 2009 10:19 am

FoodFanatic wrote:I suppose mine would influence my college plans, I want to to into pre-med majoring in biology and then go on to medical school. Maybe minoring in French language!

You know, I want to do pre-med with either a major in Biology OR just go straight for a B.S./M.D. combined program and get everything finished in 7 years instead of 8, my ultimate goal being Forensic Pathology.

And the best part? I am a Theatre student !(^_^)!
So don't worry about being all serious and such, I am right there with you.
bhamp

Location : Wishing I was a tomato... oh wait... LOCATION... ha.... Winchester.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Fri May 01, 2009 6:36 pm

Orthopedic Surgery over here! Smile
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by larkawash on Fri May 01, 2009 9:17 pm

I'm planning on doing a business program and becoming a corporate attorney! very happy
larkawash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon on Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 am

WHOO Go people who want to major in and do things that "Follow your passion".I love art history and my greatest goal would be to become a museum curator, or work with art preservation, or help promote art in innercities etc... Whenever the topic of loving ur major vs. having money/a a steady career comes up, I think of a facebook group my sister joined... it was somethign like "I picked a major I love and now I'm going to live in a box" or something...
androgynousmermen@verizon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie Zhen on Sun May 03, 2009 10:50 am

Sweet! Museum curating sounds awesome. This coming fall I'm going to do a mentorship in sculpture conservation at the Va Museum of Fine Arts, which is kind of close to curating. It deals with art, science, and history (and literature if paperwork counts as such), so it's totally up my alley. I'd be fun do to that for a living....shoot, maybe I should have taken Italian so I could study of there. Darn.
Natalie Zhen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iDraw'09 on Tue May 05, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm thinking I'm going to go as far as I can go with my talent/passion, because if you don't use it you lose it, and I don't want to regret not following my passion. I'm going to aim high and try to get into Pixar!! By buffing up my experiences and getting a solid art education (I'm taking AP studio next year and Art History this year, then college) I'm sure to make a reasonable living - even if the art profession is generally an "unstable" one.
iDraw'09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon on Tue May 05, 2009 11:18 pm

O.o ANother person taking AP Art History??!?!?! for real?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Tue May 05, 2009 11:28 pm

AP Art History is fun! At least it was for me :/
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by J. K. on Sat May 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Definitely, acting is a career choice. Of course, I'll need something to fall back on in case it doesn't work out.....I just don't know what. I also don't know which direction to take. I like the instant reaction from being on stage but I've always loved films and wanted to be in them. Oh well, maybe I'll do both. That's what a lot of actors do.
J. K.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LAMeadows on Sat May 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm def. thinking of pursuing something political as my career, hence why I chose to apply for Humanities. I always thought I wanted to do something in the medical field, but as I go through high school and more science courses, I'm starting to see that is not what I really want to do. I'm kind of a jumbled mess, I have no idea what I want to do in life. I just hope it's something I can enjoy while doing. If all else fails, I'll be a History teacher.
LAMeadows

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by androgynousmermen@verizon on Sat May 09, 2009 7:30 pm

YAY another person who took AP AH... I'm sudying for my test which is on wednesday... and yeah I wanna make it a career...

but Larry(right?)... No, do you are not a jumbled mess. College is not the place to go in knowing exactly what you want to do until you're 65 or whatever... you learn, experiment and try differnet things...

And yes there are few things as wonderful as a good old history teacher...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LAMeadows on Sat May 09, 2009 7:55 pm

Right now my goal in life is to become a Diplomat or an ambassador to a Latin American country, but that could easily change. My "supreme" goal is to become the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations, but the chances of that actually occurring are extremely slim, but I'm determined to do everything possible to make that a reality. Then, close to when I feel I've been successful, I may retire and become a History teacher. IDK.
LAMeadows

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iDraw'09 on Mon May 11, 2009 2:31 pm

androgynousmermen@verizon wrote:YAY another person who took AP AH... I'm sudying for my test which is on wednesday... and yeah I wanna make it a career...
Mine's on Wednesday too! At least I think it is...it might be tomorrow actually...

FoodFanatic wrote:AP Art History is fun! At least it was for me :/
My teacher is so chill, it's one of my fave classes but since it's in the morning I actually tend to skip because of the new tardy policy they've got at my school. I miss our old principal he was soooo chill.
iDraw'09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FoodFanatic on Mon May 11, 2009 2:41 pm

Venus of Willendorf and the Barberini Faun are still hilarious to me.

Art History nerds will know what I'm talking about XD
FoodFanatic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next